Upcycling to getting Organized

DSCN9694This might all be down to watching ‘how to get organized’ YouTube videos with my youngest daughter – we got hooked on Bethany Mota’s stuff, even though a lot of her crafty suggestions are not of very sound quality or long lasting… we just got inspired to salvage wrapping paper and bows, toilet paper rolls, paint a feature wall in Esther’s room and so forth…

As for me and the rest of the house and my craft stuff – I went out again to buy a set of sock needles in a size that I was sure I had somewhere… but just couldn’t locate and that’s when I thought enough is enough – just get organised in a crafty sort of way and sort your stuff. So here is the result.  DSCN9692

DSCN9691 I really enjoyed using up that Dresden plate patchwork sample to decorate this fabulous little sock knitting needle organiser!DSCN9693

DSCN9689DSCN9690

I was just going to write the needle sizes on the fabric with a black pen… but then I thought it would make it hard to change the organisation of the needles, should I wish to do so for any reason… so I used these wee tags.

And it was not so hard to make, I just cut 2 pieces of calico (or one big piece folded in half) to have the entire pouch double thickness (a) for strength and (b) for sewing on the Dresden Plate and the dividing stitches – so those stitches would not show through to the other side.Then I sewed on the decoration, stitched the dividing stitches and then bound it all with ‘home made’ binding: NOT on the bias, just on the straight, and I used a 1″ bias binding maker.DSCN9688

 

Unfinished Business

I posted the previous in a hurry and forgot to show off the reverse side of Esther’s cushion!DSCN8985

It’s a bit smaller than the front, there you go – we all learn about seam allowances, the sooner the better! I think we will put a color all ’round to make the pieces the same size.DSCN8986

As I unearthed all those fabrics I also found some unfinished business, and I was delighted to come across this mystery medallion quilt cover. I started it in 2011, I think. I got this far and completed maybe 4 clues, then school holidays began and my flow of thoughts (and compositional coherence) were interrupted. I think I will just leave it as it is, frame it and find a good home for it.DSCN8989

Amongst the hidden treasure was also a sample of a Dresden Plate (the big one) and an old applique block (no idea what it is called). I cut a number of small Dresden Plates (and sewed just the one) out of some old squares of red/ black and white fabrics and am wondering how to turn them into something nice… DSCN8987I love it, when things just grow organically…