I am starting a contract at Opera Australia today, it feels a bit like my first day at Kindergarten. Toolbox and lunch packed the night before, anticipating problems focusing in a new work environment and being surrounded by people all day.
I did write about this project some months ago, how I have to hurry with personal projects so I can slot them into the workroom in between jobs – otherwise I never end up finishing anything… Now that the quilt is finished I care even less that it was machined together – you know, this is usually a job made by hand, with the English Paper Piecing technique.
But I turned all the edges of each hexagon by using a cardboard template and a hot steam iron and then I machined them together with a zig zag Stitch.
On the reverse side I simply patched some brown linen on to the wonderful hand printed fabric I made in a course many years ago. I like the reverse side a lot, I usually find it difficult to be letting my hair down, ie stop measuring and just going for it…
I have decided to post a few tiny stories about what has happened in the workroom over the summer.
Some time ago I picked up some tiny sashiko kits somewhere on sale. I stumbled across them and had a go. It is very soothing to play with plain thread and plain fabric and turn that combo into something stunning.
This was so much fun, I decided to find a real life application for my fairly new shirt which started developing a hole on the yoke near the collar. I Put an entire yoke sized piece of cotton under the yoke, before embroidering this.
Look out for your own sashiko kit (in the sale!) and have a go…
I have had the most amazing summer break – I cannot recall having enjoyed summer this much for a long time. I guess part of it is the fact that the kids are a bit older and are doing their own thing to a certain extent… and I have this amazing workroom, so all I need is a great idea and – BOOM it’s done!!!
So, a lot has happened in the workroom, and a lot outside the workroom…
I have noticed that I have written less and less blog posts since having started using Facebook 2 1/2 years ago and a few days ago I started Instagram… I guess a blog is by now very old fashioned – but contains a lot more reflection than the above social media platforms. Often it is a question of time …
Outside the workroom… we went to Coolangatta (in Queensland) for a week before Christmas. we had an apartment near the beach and simply enjoyed sun, sand and surf; and a bit of new age spirituality on my birthday at the Chrystal Castle.
I have enjoyed BIG swims in our pool, hot yoga sessions, learning to run with a running app (couch to 5km, LOL) as well as getting back to try to learn to surf. Surfing… well, I think I will not get the hang of it in this life… but the next one… but it is fun to try… We also have been snorkeling a few times at Shelley Beach and saw some amazing fish.
I am running out of steam and will have to do a thorough show and tell about all the workroom activity another time. So long, Little blog… good to be back ❤
despite my best intentions, I didn’t do an amazing job documenting the making of the tailcoat for the rugby promotion. But here is what I have got!
actually, the only interesting photos I took are of the preparation of the canvas. The canvas is the inner shell of a suit – it is sculptured into the body shape in the chest area and the shape is “locked in place” by padstitches. After a good press with plenty of hot steam, the shape stays in the canvas permanently… and this is the secret of a good quality suit.
there are many ways of cutting the canvas. I still have not got the “one and only” way to do it. My cutting of the canvas is usually determined by what types of canvas I managed to get hold of, since that usually poses the first problem! The quality and thickness of the main fabric also plays a roll in choosing the canvas type and shape. This tailcoat was made from fairly thick furnishing fabric, so I chose to add a shoulder piece.
The main canvas piece, the largest one, has the same grain as th main fabric. The grain of the chest piece, usually cut from horsehair canvas, is determined by the angle of the break line. Both canvases have 2 darts to give shape to the chest. These darts are closed with fusing tape, that is iron on tape. In addition, after the tape is applied, they are secured by zig zag stitches.
the break line is pulled in and prevented from stretching by either applying fusing tape or, when doing it the “proper way”, by basting a piece of selvage from lining fabric tightly in place. A slightly tightened break line promotes additional room for the chest.
in the above photo the pad stitches are clearly visible. All layers are held in place with padstitching – and the direction of the stitches gives a clue that the layers are rolled into different directions whilst being stitched together. An additional layer of thin wadding gives extra volume to the chest shape.
This photo illustrates the main fabric having been mounted onto the canvas, the cut in the canvas through which the pocket bag of the chest pocket has been pulled and the lapel having been padstitched. Finally the canvas on the front edge is being cut back to the actual sewing line and fusing tape is applied to hold it in place before sewing the lapel fabric to the main body.
and then… as if through magic… the coat has got sleeves and lining and a collar!
I am making a Willy Wonka suit for a Rugby commercial.
It was lucky that the Costume supervisor had hired a number of suits to see what looks best on the busy celebrity. So I just copied the one that looked great, incorporating a few changes to improve the fit and style. So this suit I will make straight through to finish – no fitting! This saves a lot of time – but YIKES, is also a wee bit scary, having to get it right without being able to check the details!
They chose furnishing fabric for this, it is a nice color, but very thick…