It’s been a fun day at the printing studio – there were only two students; me and Susie who is doing wood printing. So I had the entire printing table for myself. Last week I spent a lot of time getting the design together and cutting the stencil.
Today was P- Day (p for printing). Instead of just printing one single colored motif and hopping up and down with excitement I tried to master an entire piece of cloth. So here I tried not to smudge, not to drip, get some sort of rhythm going. Once I had the dark shapes on the fabric I squinted long and hard and a simplified shape echoing the first one seemed to be the right thing to do. But after applying the pink stencil there were still big gaps in the pattern. So I picked a gold with some metallic, added a drop of black and performed a kind of dance as I placed the yellow.
Finally I added printing paste to dilute the yellow, to get a lighter color and just printed willy nilly (randomly…).
It’s not a big piece of cloth, about 1.20m x 1m, so it’s too small for a table cloth. I think the pattern is too big to turn it into cushions… we’ll see what it will be turned into.
Work has not picked up yet at, it’s still slow at the beginning of the academic year, what a treat to have time for playtime!